Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Second Level of Hell

I heaved open the heavy door leading to the Second Circle of Hell and immediately, my ears were assailed by roaring winds. Just before I stepped into the level, Virgil (the poet, not the other ones mentioned previously) appeared next to me.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
“Kind of windy here, huh?” I yelled above the howl.

“This is the level where those who are overcome by lust are punished,” Virgil yelled back to me. “The wanton, the libidinous, the lecherous, lewd, debauched, the oscene—”

“Yeah, I might like this level,” I interrupted him. “If it weren’t for all the wind, you know.”

“Those punished here are forever damned to blow about in this storm without hope for reprieve,” Virgil replied.

I looked around at the souls being blown about.

“Hey, I think I recognize some of these guys!” I yelled. “Isn’t that—”

“Yes, that is,” Virgil nodded.

“And isn’t that…”

“Yes, that is her,” the dead poet affirmed.

“Yeah, I knew it!” I looked around some more. “So how do I get through?”

“You must simply make your way to the other side,” Virgil pointed across the expanse.

“And you’ll meet me there?” I asked.

“Of course,” he replied.

“Of course,” I repeated.

Dante Faints by William BlakeI hurled myself into the tempest and carefully made my way past the damned denizens. As I came closer to the other end, the wind picked up. I struggled as it nearly blew me off my feet, but I pressed on.

Souls howled as they rushed past me, but they did not grab me or hit me.

“You guys look great,” I said. “I mean that.”

I almost had the door within reach when a gust threw me back and off my feet. I clutched the ground as the wind howled louder and blew stronger still.

“What a way to go,” I muttered to myself.

Holding tight with my right arm, I threw my left towards the door and fired the harpoon from my Wristomm at the door. It stuck fast and I wound myself towards the portal. Reaching it, I threw it open and heaved myself inside. It was another staircase winding down, of course. I looked back at all the souls flailing about in the winds.

“See you all later,” I called out to them, then to myself I added “Actually, I hope not…”

8 comments:

Nepharia said...

Once you get through all the levels of hell how are you going to get out? Is Virgil going to miraculously spirit you out or are you going to have to go back through all these levels with Hudson in tow?

Erifia Apoc said...

Who were the people you recongized?

Professor Xavier said...

I thought Hell was for children?

Private Hudson said...

Oh Pat Benatar, she's a hotie. She could hit me with her best shot any day.

Lori said...

Hmmmm I hope not either!!!

Vegeta said...

I found that level quite fun, when I was there.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

It looks a real interesting place.

Kristi said...

So, if you're lustful and gluttonous, which one do you end up in? ;)