Saturday, July 16, 2005

A call from the President

The phone rang. I picked it up and the voice on the other end said "Please hold for the president."

I thought it a bit odd, then there was a quick click and I heard his voice.

"Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator," he said. "Your country needs you."

I grabbed my space helmet and a quick plane ride later I was in his office shaking his hand.

"Jon, let me level with you," said the president.

"Yes, Mr. President?"

"Drugs are bad in this country," He continued. "They're in the streets and we need your help."

"What do you need from me, Mr. President?" I asked. I was not sure what I could do. "I am glad to help, but I can't clean up all of the city streets myself."

"I want to make you an honorary Federal Agent. You can speak to the people and tell them the dangers of drugs. They'll listen to you, you're an Intergalactic Gladiator," The president made a vague thumbs up gesture towards me. The kind presidents often make when they are giving speeches on camera.

"I am flattered, sir," I answered. "I don't know if this will work too well, though. It is not widely known throughout the United States that I am an Intergalactic Gladiator and, quite frankly, I would like to keep it that way. There are a lot of people out there not prepared for what's beyond our planet."

"You may be right, Jon," The president sighed. "Keep it mind, though. You would be a welcome addition to Our efforts."

It was a nice offer, but like I said, I don't think that I could take him up on it. It was a real pleasure meeting the president, though and I did get my picture taken with him. Which is nice.




1 comment: